While browsing recently online for a collagen supplement … particularly a non marine one given the state of Fukushima we’re not told about by MSM (mainstream media). I’m not being alarmist here, it’s just that I would prefer to err on the side of caution these days given corporations have been lying to us for quite a few decades now. Folks with testing devices have been finding their food to be radioactive. Fukushima spews vast quantities of radioactive water into the Pacific ocean daily and has been since 2011 or thereabouts, with the Japanese people gagged from talking about it in relation to their health. Corporate lying is also evidenced by the multitude of fines they are paying these days for their misdemeanors (‘peanut’ fines they pay out of their petty cash pretty much). So, no, this is why I don’t trust their spin.
I located one product anyway that looked pretty good (I’d typed in the search box, ‘natural, organic ingredients’). The brand hailed ‘acclaimed actress Nicole Kidman’ as its global ambassador. Sounded impressive.
“…an Australian owned & operated business devoted to producing quality health supplements by using the best-sourced natural ingredients, latest scientific research and partnering with dedicated professionals in the healthcare industry.” The brand is Swisse.
The product featured “No added: Gluten, lactose, egg, yeast, salt, artificial colours and artificial flavours…” then just above that a short unassuming statement … “Contains sodium benzoate.”
Turns out sodium benzoate’s not so unassuming after all. I found an article from 2009 at healthwyze.org that tells all. Not pretty.
Here is a little quote to spark your interest:
Researchers at Southampton University noted that tests have shown sodium benzoate to lower the I.Q. by up to five points in children. Britain’s Food Standards Agency has even warned parents that sodium benzoate is a primary cause of hyperactivity in children, along with artificial colorings. However, in the U.S., there has been nothing but silence and the destruction of evidence.
“Sodium benzoate is the most effective preservative currently authorized.”
— Richard Laming, British Soft Drinks Association
Some key information on sodium benzoate:
- it is produced by mixing benzoic acid with sodium hydroxide
- it is a common preservative in processed foods and soft drinks
- it is considerably more toxic than either processed sugar or high fructose corn syrup
- It is a bona fide poison
- benzene is the main ingredient of various paint stripper products, rubber cements, and spot removers, due it its highly destructive and solvent qualities
- Countries throughout Europe have been pressuring the food industry to voluntarily remove sodium benzoate from products
- Many have called for an absolute ban on this toxic preservative due to concerns about children’s developmental safety
- U.S. Government and media have remained disturbingly silent on this additive
- there have been no studies in the U.S. about the chemical’s effects upon children
- Only the synthetic version has toxic effects
- it is especially dangerous because it is able to destroy parts of the DNA
- the amount of benzene in soft drinks increases with shelf life
- it is one of the most dangerous preservatives available, but it is the cheapest (follow the money trail)
…there is more … read the article below to see just how much. This is a pertinent reminder to buy unprocessed food that’s not been stripped of all goodness and pumped full of chemicals to maintain its shelf life. Buy organic or grow your own. An excellent expose of the food additive insanity is ‘The Idiot Cycle’ documentary, viewable on Vimeo. It can also be found in one of our posts at this link.
- Written by Sarah C. Corriher
- Published: October 27, 2009
|“Should we make diet or regular?”|
“One of the dirty secrets of the soft drink and processed food industries is sodium benzoate. It is a benzene compound that is produced by mixing benzoic acid with sodium hydroxide. It is a common preservative in processed foods and soft drinks. It has been associated with a vast array of health problems, including all of our major epidemics. Sodium benzoate is considerably more toxic than either processed sugar or high fructose corn syrup, yet it gets very little media coverage. It is a bona fide poison. Outside of our foods, benzene is the main ingredient of Liquid Wrench, various paint stripper products, rubber cements, and spot removers, due it its highly destructive and solvent qualities. It was discontinued in rubber manufacture in the U.S. because it caused a large percentage of workers to get leukemia. …” Read more: http://healthwyze.org/reports/204-are-you-getting-enough-sodium-benzoate-in-your-diet.html
Check out our Chemicals and Food pages for more info on food additives. There are links on the Food page to sites that have info on all (or most of) the additives.