“GM crops are a massive failed experiment that has lasted over 20 years, laying waste to land and people’s lives and livelihoods, leaving behind a toxic legacy that will take decades to heal. The world has woken up from the GM nightmare.” Dr. Mae-Wan Ho
A GMO, or genetically modified organism, is a plant, animal, microorganism or other organism whose genetic makeup has been modified using recombinant DNA methods (also called gene splicing), gene modification or transgenic technology. This relatively new science creates unstable combinations of plant, animal, bacterial and viral genes that do not occur in nature or through traditional crossbreeding methods. Visit the What is GMO page for more information and a list of high-risk crops.
Are GMOs safe?
Most developed nations do not consider GMOs to be safe and have significant restrictions or outright bans on the production and sale of GMOs. The U.S. and Canadian governments, though, have approved GMOs based on studies conducted by the same corporations that created them and profit from their sale.
Are GMOs labelled?
Sixty-four countries around the world, including Australia, Japan, and all of the countries in the European Union, require genetically modified foods to be labelled 1. While a 2015 ABC News survey found that 93% of Americans believe genetically modified foods should be labelled, GMOs are not required to be labelled in the U.S. and Canada 2. In the absence of mandatory labeling, the Non-GMO Project was created to give consumers the informed choice they deserve.
Evidence of harm to health
- Monsanto and the European Commission (EC) have known about birth defects since the 1980s. Industry studies found statistically significant skeletal and/or visceral abnormalities as well as reduced viability and increase in spontaneous abortions in rats and rabbits exposed to high doses of glyphosate. Lower doses were later shown to cause dilated hearts. The EC dismissed all the findings.
- Independent studies have since found caudal vertebrae loss in rats treated with sub-lethal doses of the herbicide; as well as craniofacial abnormalities, increased embryonic mortality and endocrine disruption, abnormal onset of puberty, and abnormal sexual behavior and sperm count in male offspring of mothers exposed during gestation.
- GM soybean-fed female rats gave birth to excessive numbers of severely stunted pups, with over half of the litter dead by three weeks, and the surviving pups were sterile.
- Non-mammalian animals exposed to glyphosate resulted in increased gonad size, increased mortality, craniofacial abnormalities correlating with abnormal retinoic acid signaling, and reduced egg viability.
- In vitro exposure to glyphosate resulted in endocrine disruption and death of cells of the testis, placenta, and umbilical cord.
- A long term in vivo study on rats found females exposed to Roundup and/or Roundup Ready GM maize were two to three times as likely to die as controls and much more likely to develop large mammary tumors, while males presented large tumors four times controls and up to 600 days earlier.
- Clinical data from Argentina are consistent with lab findings of increases in birth defects and cancers in regions with large areas cultivating glyphosate-tolerant soybean.
- Endocrine disruption has been observed in both in vivo and in vitro studies in the laboratory, including abnormal levels of testosterone, aromatase enzyme, testosterone and estrogen receptors, luteinizing hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone. Endocrine disruption can lead to cancers and reproductive problems.
- Epidemiological studies have found links to cancer including non-Hodgkin lymphoma and increased plasma cell proliferation. Cancer rates have risen in in glyphosate-use zones in Argentina. Lab studies found significant increases in interstitial cell tumor incidence in rats as well as skin tumor-promoting activity. Numerous lab studies including those performed by industry showed glyphosate damages DNA of cells in culture as well as in humans living in glyphosate-sprayed regions of Argentina. Non-mammalian studies found defects in cell cycle checkpoints and DNA damage repair machinery. DNA damage is a major prelude to cancers. AMPA, the glyphosate metabolite, also has genotoxic effects.
- Neurotoxicity effects include Parkinsonism have emerged following acute exposure. Exposure to glyphosate resulted in oxidative stress in lab animals and death of neuronal cells, correlating with Parkinsonian pathology. Acute exposure in fish resulted in acetylcholine esterase (AChE) inhibition. An epidemiological study linked glyphosate -exposure to Attention-Deficit-Hyperactive disorder in children, a disorder associated with AChE inhibition. The original neurotoxicity studies carried out by industry were ruled invalid by the US Environment Protection Agency and urgently need re-examining by independent scientists.
- Internal organ toxicity has been documented in animal feeding studies with glyphosate-tolerant soybean. Rats suffered kidney abnormalities including renal leakage and ionic disturbances, and liver pathology including irregular hepatocyte nuclei, and increased metabolic rates.
- Acute toxicity of glyphosate is officially declared low by government agencies; however agricultural workers have reported many symptoms including skin irritation, skin lesions, eye irritation, allergies, respiratory problems and vomiting. Ingestion of large volumes causes systemic toxicity and death.
Glyphosate toxicity can no longer be ignored. While evidence of its harm to health and the environment grows, Monsanto is proposing to raise permitted residual levels in lentils by 100 fold in the EU. This is clearly unacceptable. Brazil has recently proposed a new bill that will ban many environmental toxins including glyphosate. A global ban or phase-out of glyphosate use is a matter of urgency, and with that, widespread adoption of non-GM sustainable agriculture. [Citations omitted, emphasis added]
Read the full article here: “Why Glyphosate Should Be Banned,” by Dr. Mae-Wan Ho and Dr. Eva Sirinathsinghji, Institute of Science in Society; October 10, 2012
Monsanto: the controversial seed company, whose GMO crops have become the foundation of the modern food supply.
Tenth video of the Behind the Business Series.
For further reading, we highly recommend the following books:
“Monsanto vs. the World: The Monsanto Protection Act, GMOs and Our Genetically Modified Future” by Jason Louv: http://a.co/8MsWn9U
“The World According to Monsanto: Pollution, Corruption, and the Control of the World’s Food Supply” by Marie-Monique Robin: http://a.co/8JJxVFp
“Food, Inc.: Mendel to Monsanto–The Promises and Perils of the Biotech Harvest” by Peter Pringle:http://a.co/bhotCXG
“Deconstructing Monsanto” by Chris Kanthan: http://a.co/5ykNj3m
“We’re Monsanto: Still Feeding the World, Lie After Lie” by Brett Wilcox: https://amzn.com/1511742690
Dr. Stephanie Seneff presentation on harmful effects of glyphosate – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqWwh…
Monsanto Video Revolt! Must See Animation! GMOs Exposed – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDlml…
Lobbyist Claims Monsanto’s Roundup Is Safe To Drink, Freaks Out When Offered A Glass –https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovKw6…
TAGS – glyphosate, roundup, herbicide, roundup ready, corn, soy, cotton, sugar beet, canola, crop, vaccine, shot, vaccines, pandemic, flu, influenza, bird flu, swine flu, measles, mumps, ebola, hpv, bought, merck, glaxosmithkline, gsk, johnson & johnson, pharmaceuticals, drugs, health, immune system, big pharma, pharma, vaccination, aluminum, thimerosal, mercury, MSG, aspartame, fetus, egg, formaldehyde, food, fda, monsanto, gmo, genetic engineering, government, money, profit, pfizer