A truthful commentary from Horowhenua’s ex Mayor Michael Feyen on the pollution issues regarding Lake Horowhenua & more importantly why they are not being properly addressed. Not an uncommon story in this era of neo lib economics. Michael is able to share from the unique standpoint of a former insider. Whilst mayor & prior to that a councilor, he was largely censored and silenced from speaking out on these important issues that DCs largely pay lip service to (see other links below). Very brief notes also below but do listen to the full commentary. About 22 minutes in length. EWR
- HDC, DoC & Horizons have used the divide & rule concept with the guardians of Lake Horowhenua.
- Sediment traps put in by council without consents.
- Council cut off Phillip Taueki’s water for 700 days (Phillip is an owner of the lake who has lived there 14 years). (See here also). He has also beenvictimized by Police.
- Court & a Judge’s conflict of interest.
- Unfinished audit that should have been finalised before ex Mayor Feyen’s departure. No independent audit either. Unheard of for annual plan to not be signed off before elections. No audit at HDC for at least 12 years.
- No confidence in DoC’s handling of the issue.
- No confidence in the Lake Horowhenua Lake Domain Board.
- Incestuous development system in town where ratepayers pay for infrastructure and developers don’t.
- Hidden reasons as to why the lake is being left the way it is.
- Similar pollution & other issues going on at the Foxton River Loop.
- Priority given to the ‘edifices’ rather than the essential issues.
- Treaty obligations.