20 Facts About 5G
Download a PDF of this information on a two page EHT Factsheet on 5G and Health. The factsheet is hyperlinked (blue text) to research and sources. It is a great resource for policymakers.
Nationwide, communities are being told by wireless companies that it is necessary to build “small cell” wireless facilities in neighborhoods ons street lights and utility poles in order to offer 5G, a new technology that will connect the Internet of Things (IoT). At the local, state, and federal level, new legislation and new zoning aim to streamline the installation of these 5G “small cell” antennas in public rights-of-way.
1. 5G “small cell antennas are to be placed in neighborhoods everywhere.
- Street lights
- Utility poles
- Bus stops
- Sides of buildings
2. The radiation from small cells is not small.
Wireless antennas emit microwaves — non-ionizing radiofrequency radiation — and essentially function as cell towers. Each installation can have over a thousand antennas that are transmitting simultaneously. Examples of how small cells are not small include:
- They increase electromagnetic radiation near homes.
- They have refrigerator-sized (and larger) equipment cabinets.
- Property values drop after a cell tower is built near homes.
- Taller and wider poles are needed for the antennas.
- Fixtures weigh hundreds of pounds.