I was contacted today with further feedback on the trucking situation in Marton and the Bonny Glen Landfill owned and operated by Midwest Disposals, sold to them a decade or so back by the Rangitikei District Council. There have been ongoing local concerns with their gentleman’s agreement to dump their leachate into Marton’s Waste Water Treatment Plant (read a submission made by then local man Hamish Allan), with a trail of non-consents that Horizons have failed to enforce adequately, if at all. With the landfill now set to quintuple in size following the granting of consents to extend, trucks will almost double in number in spite of claims last year that they would not increase at all. A member of the public has expressed an extensive list of concerns regarding noise, smell, volume of traffic and the leachate problem. I have quoted and slightly condensed these:
- “I am appalled at the number of rubbish trucks passing our house 6 days per week, and the noise and vibration they make
- In addition, the number of tankers taking leachate to the Marton Wastewater Treatment Plant is far in excess of claims made by Mid-west Disposals. The number of trips per day is 7 at least, and some days when 2 tankers are used, a total of at least 12 loads are dumped in the Marton treatment plant
- I fear that this amount of leachate will cause major problems and poisoning of the rivers that receive outflow
- I fear it will become a cost to the ratepayers of Marton while the company responsible gets away with not paying for the damage
- I believe Horizons should be checking and stopping this pollution
- This landfill must be opposed and shut down as it is a major pollutant of our region
- we can smell the tip at times when the wind blows from that direction, 6-7 kms away.
No clean and green Rangitikei, just dirty smelly and polluted. It is a disgrace.”
Please contact the site if you have any similar concerns regarding this landfill and how it is affecting you. And or contact the RDC and let them know.
~ Envirowatchrangitikei ~